Re: [HTCondor-users] condor start after installation on CentOS 7

> On Dec 11, 2014, at 10:25 AM, Rich Pieri <ratinox@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 12/11/14 11:09 AM, René Labounek wrote:
>> Does anyone have some idea what could be wrong?
>
> Debugging issues with systemd can be troublesome because it doesn't use
> conventional log files. Instead, it uses something called the systemd
> journal. You'll need to install journalctl if it isn't already installed
> and use that to examine the journal.
>
> Good luck.

While I see the rest of the thread went in a different direction, for random users googling for the solution:

1) Just because you're running on a system with systemd doesn't mean that HTCondor logfile locations changed.  For example, on RHEL6, they are in /var/log/condor while on RHEL7, they are in /var/log/condor.  For this case, /var/log/condor/MasterLog would be a great place to start.

2) Pre-systemd, if there's a problem in very early startup of condor, any hint as to why will often go to /dev/null.  For systemd-based systems using journald, these are logged; you can access the last 10 lines with the following:

journalctl _SYSTEMD_UNIT=condor.service -n 10

Brian