Re: [HTCondor-users] HTCondor 8.2.6 Released

Thanks Todd

This is good point. And please don't misunderstand. As you know, I have a lot of respect for the engineering talent and great people behind HTCondor.

Someone asked if I clicked the release notes. I did and place the text here for everyone to see them (I bet 90% of the readers on this user group did not click the link, which is just text appended as a routine). It does not say much more than the announcement email.

The second bullet "the ec2_gahp may grow without bound due to a bug in some versions of libcurl.... etc) is pure geek-ese.

As this has been for years by engineers for user-engineers, not all users are equal . As I quoted in my blog  knows and knows-nots

Unfortunately, there is no one type of tech consumer. Someone winds up unhappy. If the design and interface are too technical, novices feel incompetent, shut out and stupid; if the experience is too simple, tech geeks feel insulted and talked down to.
 Probably there is no other field as affected by the disarmingly simple discovery that "there is no one type of tech consumer" as the high performance computing (including high throughput, Big Data and more).

Usually the know-nots are silent on this group, yet they are the great majority by far in terms of numbers. The prevalent attitude can be illustrated by the greeting I have from Dimitri Maziuk

So if you don't know what this means you're not qualified to run servers. I grant you

In the  Notes About User Experience in HPC and watch the video's last slide starting from minute 10:05
  • User Experience
    • User feel pleasure using the applications
    • Create habit - desire
    • User behavior change models (Fogg’s mat model)
  • Don’t humiliate new users
  • Overcome the HPC superiority complex
The principles from this slide are very simple, because, before anything else, we are human beings

If before any new communication document, or new feature, we ask ourselves: how do we make our user pleasure, and not pain. One way to make the users run away is to say: " you don't know, you are not qualified.." making us all little Dilberts scared to death to ask a question.

2 cents,

Miha

Version 8.2.6

Release Notes: