Re: [HTCondor-users] Do you NEED to share condor_config across multiple versions of HTCondor?

On 1/7/2014 3:48 PM, Brian Bockelman wrote:
1) HTCondor dev series N+1 introduces new feature X
2) Feature X can only be enabled via config syntax that can be understood by N+1 and newer.
That's the general idea. I'm thinking embrace-and-extend. not change the way existing syntax "X" is interpreted.

I would have a problem if the new syntax prevented me from accessing features in prior versions.  That is, I would always expect that doing "yum upgrade" on HTCondor would have a reasonable chance of success.

In general, we use some other templating language to generate our config files across multiple machines.  Having syntax specific to certain machines (or, I guess, certain versions) doesn't seem to be a large problem.

Good. This is what I'm hoping to hear, but I fear that some sites may share config across machines in way that makes it impossible to use new features.

-tj