[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [HTCondor-users] Do you NEED to share condor_config across multiple versions of HTCondor?
- Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 16:04:00 -0600
- From: "John (TJ) Knoeller" <johnkn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [HTCondor-users] Do you NEED to share condor_config across multiple versions of HTCondor?
On 1/7/2014 3:48 PM, Brian Bockelman wrote:
That's the general idea. I'm thinking embrace-and-extend. not change
the way existing syntax "X" is interpreted.
1) HTCondor dev series N+1 introduces new feature X
2) Feature X can only be enabled via config syntax that can be understood by N+1 and newer.
I would have a problem if the new syntax prevented me from accessing features in prior versions. That is, I would always expect that doing "yum upgrade" on HTCondor would have a reasonable chance of success.
In general, we use some other templating language to generate our config files across multiple machines. Having syntax specific to certain machines (or, I guess, certain versions) doesn't seem to be a large problem.
Good. This is what I'm hoping to hear, but I fear that some sites may
share config across machines in way that makes it impossible to use new