Re: [HTCondor-users] Increasing maxpre for a running DAG

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014, Branden Timm wrote:

I'm wondering if it's possible to increase the maximum number of pre scripts for a DAG after it has been submitted. I was doing some troubleshooting and lowered maxpre to 1, and now that there are many jobs running in the queue that has become a bottleneck. I'd like to let the current jobs finish, but also increase maxpre so I can get more jobs in the pipeline.

Is there any way I can do this without halting the dag, waiting for the queue to drain, and then resubmitting with a new maxpre value?

We have in mind implementing a "clean" way to do this, but for right now there's a kludgey way, if you set maxpre in a config file rather than on the condor_submit_dag command line.

Here's what you do:

1) condor_hold the condor_dagman job.
2) Edit your config file to have the new maxpre value.
3) condor_release your condor_dagman job.

(Note that command-line-specified values override config file-specified values, so if you did -maxpre <n> on the condor_submit_dag command line, this won't change anything.)

Kent Wenger
CHTC Team