[HTCondor-users] control law questions

Dear List:

I have two questions about the algorithm which is used to move jobs from the “I” state in the run state.

Does the algorithm take into account the amount of time requested?

For instance do sites specify up front the maximum amount of time that a job they will accept can request?

If so, can a user get a survey of those times from all the sites currently accepting jobs?

Below is a 24-hour plot showing the number of jobs running through the xd-login submit host on the Open Science Grid.

During this period most of the opportunistic cycles were shared relatively equally between 3 users, all running through xd-login.

The black tracing is the total.  It is a count of the number condor_shadow processes.

The blue tracing is the number of my running jobs.  It is obtained from a condor_q command.

There is an oscillation in the blue tracing with a period of about 90 minutes which is quite large.

I presume that the other users saw a comparable oscillation and I have seen this behavior repeatedly.

Is there something out there which analyzes the behavior of the control algorithm implemented in HTCondor?

I have reviewed the documentation on the algorithm itself and admit that I do not understand it.

Any comments on this would be welcome.

Thanks - Don