Re: [HTCondor-users] hostname empty on node restart

On 6/4/15 4:28 AM, Yngve Inntjore Levinsen wrote:
> From what I understand about run levels, I thought that if network is
> needed then it shouldn't go in run level 2, only 3-5. This seems to not
> be the case for these machines though, where level 2 is the default
> after startup.

Only run levels 0, 1 (or S) and 6 are set in stone. LSB suggests that
level 2 is for full multi-user without networking and level 3 is level 2
plus networking. You should still look at your distribution target
because many long-standing distributions like Debian and Slackware
predate LSB.

> The change seems to work half way. Sometimes the machines get the
> correct network name, sometimes they are displayed as 'localhost', and
> sometimes with empty hostname.

This may be due to latency in the DHCP requests: dhcpcd is running in
the background waiting for a lease when the Condor daemon start happens.
If this is the case then you can't fix it by changing start priorities.
You need to make Condor's start process dependent on DHCP lease
acquisition. A simple hack is a little semi-infinite loop in the init
script:

while [ `hostname` = localhost ]; do sleep 5; done

--
Rich Pieri <ratinox@xxxxxxx>
MIT Laboratory for Nuclear Science