[HTCondor-users] HTCondor 8.3.5 not honoring START?

I have reinstalled a couple of nodes - with HTCOndor 8.3.5 instead
of 8.3.3. Now I don't seem to be able anymore to set those to Owner
state:

root@v9001:~# condor_version
$CondorVersion: 8.3.5 Apr 20 2015 BuildID: 315634 $
$CondorPlatform: x86_64_Debian7 $
root@v9001:~# condor_config_val START
False
root@v9001:~# condor_status v9001
Name               OpSys      Arch   State     Activity LoadAv Mem    ActvtyTime

slot1@xxxxxxxxxxxx LINUX      X86_64 Unclaimed Idle      0.040 16385  0+00:00:04
                     Total Owner Claimed Unclaimed Matched Preempting Backfill

        X86_64/LINUX     1     0       0         1       0          0        0

               Total     1     0       0         1       0          0        0
root@v9001:~# condor_reconfig
Sent "Reconfig" command to local master
root@v9001:~# condor_config_val START
False
root@v9001:~# condor_status v9001
Name               OpSys      Arch   State     Activity LoadAv Mem    ActvtyTime

slot1@xxxxxxxxxxxx LINUX      X86_64 Unclaimed Idle      0.040 16385  0+00:00:04
                     Total Owner Claimed Unclaimed Matched Preempting Backfill

        X86_64/LINUX     1     0       0         1       0          0        0

               Total     1     0       0         1       0          0        0

Is this a known problem? ("condor_off -daemon startd" doesn't help either.)

Thanks,
 Steffen