Re: [HTCondor-users] Running short-lived jobs on Condor

I'm running 8.2.

I will bet increasing DAGMAN_MAX_SUBMITS_PER_INTERVAL will fix the whole problem, thanks. I was unaware of this setting and the others. The problem boils down to the DAG submitting too slowly.

From: HTCondor-users [htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Brian Bockelman [bbockelm@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2015 4:01 PM
To: HTCondor-Users Mail List
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-users] Running short-lived jobs on Condor

Hi Thomas,

This is certainly something I’d expect HTCondor to handle well. (It may be a matter of tuning).  What version of HTCondor are you using?

Being that you say “queue is actually often empty”, I’d guess that DAGMan is not submitting fast enough.  Here’s a few suggestions:

# Number of jobs DAGMan will submit at once (default 5).
DAGMAN_MAX_SUBMITS_PER_INTERVAL=100
# Number of seconds between checks for submitting more jobs (default 5)
DAGMAN_USER_LOG_SCAN_INTERVAL=1
# Amount of time slot will do work for a user/schedd before a new negotiation cycle is needed.
# Within this time, the schedd will instantly run another job on the slot (if there are jobs in queue!)
# Default 1200
CLAIM_WORKLIFE=3600
# How much time the schedd will hold onto the slot even if it has no jobs to run.
# This gives DAGMan some time to submit more if it runs out of jobs.
# Default 20
DAGMAN_HOLD_CLAIM_TIME=60

Basically, this all avoids slots having to go back to the negotiator between short jobs.  That’s what can cause a lot of your throughput loss!

Hope this helps,

Brian