Re: [HTCondor-users] Preventing users from submitting too many jobs

Hi Vlad,

The use of condor_q in this way is problematic since it's a relatively heavy-weight call whose use should be minimized.
This problem is exacerbated by the fact that the conditions you want to catch are ones in which there are large numbers of jobs in the queue.
So the condition under which the your check is important is one in which the call will be more expensive.

We handle the load of calls to condor_q by including a call to it in a single process which runs the call every 3 minutes.
The output is sent to /dev/shm/condor_q_cachefile .
That file can be accessed, searched, etc. indiscriminately without loading the system.

Regards,

Don

Don Krieger, Ph.D.
Department of Neurological Surgery