[HTCondor-users] adjust memory of slots according to free memory on machine

hi,
i have the following problem: some machines in my condor pool are also used directly by individual users. i managed to write a policy that jobs only get submitted to those nodes when the machines are idle. jobs also get evicted when the user returns. so far so good.

the problem is that some users tend to leave open some programs that might consume a couple of GB of RAM. however, in my current configuration, condor uses all the physically available memory for the slot. thus, when the "owner" of the machine leaves the programs open (which is his/her good right to do so) and a job gets submitted that tries to use all of the machines RAM, the job fails with "out of memory".

is there any way that only the really available amount of RAM is allocated to the slots?

thanks and best wishes,
thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Hartmann

Centre for Cognitive Neuroscience
FB Psychologie
UniversitÃt Salzburg
HellbrunnerstraÃe 34/II
5020 Salzburg

Tel: +43 662 8044 5109
Email: thomas.hartmann@xxxxxxxx

"I am a brain, Watson. The rest of me is a mere appendix. " (Arthur Conan Doyle)