Re: [HTCondor-users] Elastically extend local condor pool by EC2 instances

Hi Todd,

>     It certainly means you're going to be doing some trail-blazing. On
> the other hand, you could minimize the amount of trail-blazing by
> running a small Linux installation somewhere (even Amazon, if you have
> to).  The HTCondor command-line tools work just fine across platforms,
> so as long as you configure your primary schedd(s) to allow it, you
> could monitor the queue(s) from there.  Add a schedd, and you can submit
> EC2 jobs.  Those EC2 jobs could be Windows images; I assume (I am not a
> Windows person ;)) it's possible to preconfigure them to join your pool.

>     Waiting for condor_annex may save you some grief, but it may also
> take a long time for condor_annex to be able to handle autoconfiguring
> Windows instances.  In a shorter time-frame, the 8.5.5 release will
> include an improved EC2 GAHP, one that supports (if you're patient)
> thousands of EC2 jobs, which seems like it ought to be enough to get you
> well and truly started.

Thanks for describing this approach in detail! This certainly sounds
doable, although I have no feeling yet of how much trail-blazing there
will be. Anyway, we should give it a try and I will closely follow the
upcoming releases for any news around this topic.

Best,
Jens