Re: [HTCondor-users] Apache Spark on HTCondor

Hi Brian,

On 3 August 2016 at 04:17, Brian Bockelman <bbockelm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Canât say Iâve ever tried it!

Thereâs an interesting project to be had here: what you really would like is to have HTCondor maintain a certain number of Spark workers (as opposed to submitting jobs to HTCondor).
But is that not equivalent to wasting resources? What Spark does seems very similar to DAGMan: a control process (Driver program) with a few worker node processes [1]. In the given link the specifications for a cluster setup are also given. But it seems that one would have to implement a cluster manager for HTCondor within Spark.
ÂSeems like itâs an ideal candidate for the job factory work being done...
In that scenario I assume you would run Spark in stand-alone in the few reserved slots and scale out when someone starts a Spark application?
This is probably the easiest to implement (compared to the cluster manager).

So, when do we start? ;)

BTW: Please take my writing with a grain of salt, still have lots to learn about both HTCondor and even more about Spark.

Cheers,
Luke

Brian

[1]