Re: [HTCondor-users] virtualenv, pip and htcondor (python)

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 7:29 AM, L Kreczko <L.Kreczko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Since my work on an HTCondor task implementation for Spotify's Luigi [1], this topic is again becoming of interest.
> In order to do 'pip install htcondor', htcondor would need a setup.py that compiles the HTCondor Python bindings and distributes the libraries htcondor.so and classad.so the same way the condor-python RPM does.
>
> As I understand from the instructions [2] all I need to call in the setup.py is
> 1) match code to the installed condor version
> 2) ./configure_uw
> 3) make package
> 4) point python to the two libraries it needs to install.

I suspect you'll need to pick apart ./configure_uw and aggressively disable cmake flags.  For example, the error you reference on 16.04 is due to a failure building a unit test.  You can do without those!

> Is this a safe way? Is it possible to compile just the python bindings (I am asking because I cannot build condor on 16.04 [3])?
> Do htcondor.so and classad.so need to be compiled in the same version as the condor install or does some wiggle-room exist?

All variants of the compilation should result in a compatible protocol layer.  However, if you disable some of the security libraries (think Globus, Kerberos), the security negotiation might fail.

Brian