Re: [HTCondor-users] condor_submit long argument list

On 2/26/2016 7:11 AM, Lee Gramling wrote:
What are ways to pass a executable arguments to my submit description file?

I have a executable that takes a lot of parameters so I have tried to do
something like this

condor_submit process.sub arglist="-process filename.01.json -x 1 -y 1
outfile.0101.json"
arguments = $arglist

I am having issues because I have put this in a python script that
builds the command string and then calls os.system(cmd) and the quotes
are getting lost even if I try to escape them
arglist=\"......\"

Suggest you try

  condor_submit a.sub 'arglist="xxx xxx"'

i.e. use the single quotes to denote a literal string, which will then preserve your double quote characters. At least this should work from a Bash prompt, cannot say if Python os.system() is munging anything else.

The number of arguments also are variable so I cannot just hard code in
the submit 7 arguments,
but is there another way to just specify the arguments to condor_submit
in the process.sub file
with $1 $2 or $args?
arguments = $(args)

I have looked through the examples and they all seem very simple but I
am sure this is more common in the real world.

The escaping rules for the environment attribute in the submit file are pretty complete (at least the "new syntax" is)... see the documentation for "environment" in the condor_submit man page or at URL
  http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/manual/v8.4/condor_submit.html

hope this helps
Todd