Re: [HTCondor-users] why does htcondor change sysctl params, and why is this done outside of /etc/sysctl.{d, conf} ?

I agree with the general principle here that sysctl changes should be in the place one expects.

I'll play a small Devil's Advocate here though: one thing I often do is use Puppet to "purge" directories of unmanaged files. For example, I purge the /etc/condor/config.d directory to ensure that old configuration files go away and nothing sneaks past me.

The sysctl.d directory is high on the list for purging files I don't know about. So, if the PID limit were really integral to how HTCondor works, I'd want it, and any changes, documented with flashing lights in all release notes.

--
Tom Downes
Senior Scientist and Data CenterÂManager

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Michael V Pelletier <Michael.V.Pelletier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: SCHAER Frederic <frederic.schaer@xxxxxx>
> Date: 01/14/2016 06:06 AM

> Unfortunately, my monitoring is looking at all processes between 1 and
> pid_maxâ and this setting is causing useless load on servers â and it is
> killing some VMs which I use for dev.

What monitoring are you using, so I can avoid it? Â;-)

ls -d /proc/[1-9]*

I do agree with you, however, that /etc/sysctl.d/htcondor.conf would be beneficial - it could be the reason it's not done that way now is that HTCondor predates the /etc/sysctl.d directory. Also, if it sets something at startup perhaps it should revert it to the original value at shutdown.

    -Michael Pelletier.