Re: [HTCondor-users] why does htcondor change sysctl params, and why is this done outside of /etc/sysctl.{d, conf} ?

On 1/14/16 2:01 PM, Michael V Pelletier wrote:
> As of RHEL/CentOS 6.7, at least, the sysctl command does support
> /etc/sysctl.d,
> it's just that the directory is not created by default.

Yes. And since it does not exist by default it is not standard on RHEL
and its derivatives. It's a local or site customization.

> You can see it handled in /etc/init.d/functions in the apply_sysctl()
> function:

It's not HTCondor's place to create system files or directories that are
not under its purview. That is, while it is perfectly acceptable for
HTCondor to create an htcondor.conf file in /etc/sysctl.d, HTCondor has
no business creating that directory if it does not exist.

It may seem like I'm splitting hairs but they're important hairs to
split. For instance, site automation tools like Puppet can and will
delete directories for which there are no recipes. A simple mistake and
suddenly Condor stops working properly without any obvious reasons why.

--
Rich Pieri <ratinox@xxxxxxx>
MIT Laboratory for Nuclear Science