[HTCondor-users] best practices for data untar/unzip

Hi everyone,

we have jobs that transfer a gigabyte zipped tarball of data, unzip and
start crunching. The problem we're running into is when, say, 16 of them
land on a 16-core worker node at once, the untar'ing completely chokes
the drive. To the point where condor daemons wait too long trying to
write their logs and die with status 44.

I expect that's a fairly common job pattern and I'm wondering what would
be the best way to deal with it (FVVO "best"). Any suggestions?

TIA
--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin