From: HTCondor-users [mailto:htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Pelletier
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:44 PM
To: HTCondor-Users Mail List <htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-users] Is there a non-hack way to have a submit description exit and throw an error message?

It's funny, that's exactly what I came up with yesterday to deal with incorporating details from the config file into the submit and config validation, in order to replace a couple of legacy job-submission CSH scripts. :D

I had no idea that the "include command :" syntax was available - it's not mentioned in section 2.5.4 which only describes the vertical bar at the end of the line. Was that introduced with 8.4.0, or earlier? I greatly prefer it! Thanks!

In my own check-inputs script I also have it print the error-catching if statement in addition to the stuff it pulls out of the config file:

If $(VALIDATION_FAILED)
    If version >= 8.5.7
        Error : $(VALIDATION_ERROR_MESSAGE)
    Else
        Include : ----- $(VALIDATION_ERROR_MESSAGE) -----
    Endif
Endif

That way the validation script is self contained and doesn't require any dependent code in the submit description file.

	-Michael Pelletier.