Re: [HTCondor-users] Disk I/O control with cgroup:blkio?

On 08/30/2017 04:09 AM, Thomas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> has somebody experiences using the cgroup blkio controller to limit a
> job's I/O to the disk?
>
> Background is, that a user recently send a task whose jobs were doing
> primarily merging, i.e., heavily churning on the local disk with r/w.
> When nodes got 'too many' jobs of this type, they became somewhat stuck
> in I/O wait.

We had jobs fail because of too much unzip/untarring and I added

/etc/cgconfig.d/condor.conf:
group htcondor {
    cpu {}
    cpuacct {}
    memory {}
    freezer {}
    blkio {
        blkio.throttle.write_bps_device = "8:0 104857600
8:16 104857600";
    }
}

The errors seems to have disappeared since.

Note that you have get the major:minor for each disk you want to
throttle on each node which could be a bit of a PITA. And the newline
syntax is silly, but that's how you specify multiple disks.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin