Re: [HTCondor-users] How to prefer certain nodes for jobs

Sean,

Two issues. One, it sounds like you're setting
NEGOTIATOR_POST_JOB_RANK on the execute nodes themselves. That's a
negotiator setting, so it won't have any effect if it's set on an
execute node. Secondly, NEGOTIATOR_POST_JOB_RANK is essentially "use
this as a tiebreaker after you've evaluated everything else." If you
want to have a stronger preference, I'd use NEGOTIATOR_PRE_JOB_RANK.

Doing it on the negotiator can make it a little ugly. If you set an
attribute on the execute node (e.g. NodeGroup) that exactly matches
the accounting group name and include that in your STARTD_ATTRS, you
can do something like this on your negotiator:

  NEGOTIATOR_PRE_JOB_RANK = (MY.NodeGroup =?= TARGET.AcctGroup)

(note that you don't need to throw a large number multiplier in here
since the magnitude of the rank difference doesn't matter. Also, I
prefer to use =?= over == in these kinds of situations so you don't
end up with an UNDEFINED in your expression. This will make your
comparison case-sensitive, though, so be careful
http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/manual/v8.6/4_1HTCondor_s_ClassAd.html#SECTION00513400000000000000
)