[HTCondor-users] "pip install htcondor": now a thing (kinda)!

Hi all,

For those python aficionados out there, I'm happy to say that we've finally cracked the code on how to get HTCondor's build system to "play nicely" with the python packaging ecosystem.

The work is on a branch -- and there's a lot of cleanup to do*! -- but I was able to plant the flag:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/htcondor/8.7.3rc1

You should be able to "pip install htcondor" from your favorite python 2.6 / 2.7 environment.  The intent is to have Mac OS X and Windows eventually too.

Python 3 support looks ... difficult for a Saturday.  It might be doable over the next month or two.

Brian

* No globus integration right now, for example.  Most complex packages like this (think: astropy) migrate the python packaging infrastructure to per-commit / per-tag automated build & deploy -- that'll take some effort too.