Re: [HTCondor-users] Use execute machine environment variable

Ivoâs approach is definitely what youâll want to use. An alternative is a USER_JOB_WRAPPER, but that runs around every job submitted in the entire pool, which may be more extensive than youâd want.

I ran into the same question very early in my HTCondor adoption back in 2013, and it took a while to get my mind around whatâs going on.

The submit description is telling the scheduler what kind of machine is needed to run the job, and it has no connection to the execute machine at the point when itâs submitted. So $ENV() in the submit description is using the environment variables of the job submitter - the person running condor_submit â not anything on the exec side.

The submission tells the exec node exactly how to build the environment for the job. You want it this way, because you wouldnât want someone with ill intent to be able to control the environment your job uses without your express knowledge.

The $$() technique is used to expand a ClassAd attribute of the machine where the job is finally assigned to execute. By using $$(), youâre expressly acknowledging that you trust what that value will be on the exec node.

To detect and set the exec path, you can use a OneShot STARTD_CRON job to run a command or script to set the ExecutablePath attribute for the machine, so that a submission with $$(ExecutePath) will be able to use it.

                -Michael Pelletier.