Re: [HTCondor-users] Ubuntu / Debian Packages

Steffen Grunewald <steffen.grunewald@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, 2018-04-26 at 17:40:06 +0200, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
>>
>> I haven't seen *any* backports of (ht)condor so far, and Tim T. is probably
>> too busy to build them.
>> Since it's a pity to have Buster supported with a fairly recent version, but
>> not Stretch, I'm attempting a "naive" backport (to Stretch only) right now,
>> but this beast takes a while - will be back tomorrow.
>>
>> BTW, there's a versioned conflict ("Breaks"/"Replaces") of htcondor against
>> condor <= 8.0.x - is this for real or "just forgotten"? IMHO this should be
>> <= ${binary:Version} (or whatever the syntax is now: htcondor shouldn't allow
>> anything condor next to it, except its own transitional package - which doesn't
>> exist anymore for 8.6)
>
> On Thu, 2018-04-26 at 18:54:20 +0200, Andreas Hirczy wrote:
>> I have a very simple backport from Sid to Stretch. It works at least for
>> submit und start nodes - not tested on a sheduler:
>> <https://itp.tugraz.at/Comp/debian/dists/stretch/test/binary-amd64/>
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I remember that a decade ago I used to fetch Debian packages from your site :)

:)

> "very simple", I presume you just changed the version in changelog? That's what
> I usually start with, before digging deeper...

Even simpler, just loaded packages from unstable and recompiled on
Debian stable. I should have add "~bpo.$(date -I)" or so to the version
number but did not bother since I did not expect the compilation to
work.

> What makes me uncomfortable is that there are two branches of (ht)condor packages,
> the ones provided by the official Debian repository ("htcondor", split packages,
> usually a bit outdated) and the ones provided by uwisc ("condor", monolithic,
> not available for Stretch yet). It'll become a nightmare to switch between them
> if there are no conflicts declared in debian/control ...

Yes, thats correct.

I gratefully stopped building condor packages soon after (ht)condor
appeared in official Debian Sid - a relative simple backport worked
(sans configuration) and I could perform the change to the "other
condor" in between the usual Debian upgrade cycle. Made changing much
easier.

> Here's what I've come up for the 8.6.8 backport from buster/sid to stretch:
> -Breaks: condor (<< 8.0.5~)
> -Replaces: condor (<< 8.0.5~)
> +          slurm-client
> +Conflicts: condor (<< ${binary:Version})
> +Breaks: condor (<< ${binary:Version})
> +Replaces: condor (<< ${binary:Version})
>
> Can someone with more insight have a look?

This looks sensible - although I deny even basic insight.

Best regards
Andreas
--
Andreas Hirczy <ahi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                  https://itp.tugraz.at/~ahi/
Graz University of Technology                       phone: +43/316/873-   8190