Re: [HTCondor-users] condor_userprio

On 8/26/2018 8:40 AM, Alessandra wrote:
Hi,

i'm trying to adjust the fair shares and priorities in condor. One of the things that I don't understand is why the condor_userprio tool doesn't report the configured priorities but seems to report random numbers.

for example I have condor_userprio reporting

group_atlas.pilot = 10000
group_atlas.production = 10000

But the priorities configured are

GROUP_PRIO_FACTOR_group_atlas =Â 10.0
GROUP_PRIO_FACTOR_group_atlas.pilot =Â 10.0
GROUP_PRIO_FACTOR_group_atlas.production =Â 10.0

it really should be 10 even if I didn't explicitely declared them because the group_atlas is 10. 10k is the default and 1000 I'm not sure where it comes from.

Hi Alessandra,

Do the below groups have a group quota? In other words, do you have in your config a GROUP_NAMES entry and for each group a GROUP_QUOTA_* entry ?

If so, please be aware that these hierarchical groups themselves do not have a priority factor. The historical fair share scheduling in HTCondor is only applied to users, not to groups, so all the parameters dealing with historical fair share scheduling (like real user priority, effective user priority, and priority factor) have no meaning with respect to groups. All setting GROUP_PRIO_FACTOR_<groupname> does is set the default priority factor for a new user that submits into that group for the first time. I am guessing this is not what you thought it did.

Instead of historical fair share, the group scheduling is controlled solely by GROUP_SORT_EXPR, which defaults to "starvation group order." That is, the group whose current usage is the smallest fraction of its quota goes first, then the next, and so on.

I realize I did not directly answer you question(s) below, but given the above information, I am guessing that you really didn't mean to apply a priority factor to groups in the first place. Perhaps if you told us your desired scheduling policy someone could better assist...

Hope the above helps,
regards,
Todd