Re: [HTCondor-users] Ubuntu / Debian Packages

Hi Oliver,

I plan to make these available by the end of next week. (Debian 9 and Ubuntu 16).

...Tim

From: HTCondor-users <htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Oliver Freyermuth <freyermuth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2018 7:02:54 AM
To: HTCondor-Users Mail List
Subject: [HTCondor-users] Ubuntu / Debian Packages

Dear HTCondor maintainers,

we'd love to use Ubuntu desktop nodes to submit jobs to our CentOS 7 cluster,
and potentially include the desktop nodes on the cluster to make use of the unused resources overnight.

For CentOS 7, we are using the packages maintained at:
http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/yum/stable/rhel7

To not mix these with packages from a completely different source, it would be perfect if there was also an official distribution for Ubuntu.
I found:
https://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/debian/
and
http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/ubuntu/
which, however, (according to the web page) are only meant for old releases of Debian / Ubuntu, some of which are already EOL since years.

Still, it appears they are maintained, as can be seen e.g. here:
http://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/ubuntu/stable/pool/contrib/c/condor/

Can these packages also be used on more recent distros?
Is there another maintained source of packages (to ensure no version-mixing happens)?
For us, the upcoming Ubuntu 18.04 LTS would be the most interesting.

>From personal experience, I can recommend https://build.opensuse.org/ which works really well to build packages
for Debian- and RHEL-based OS automatically after the scaffolding is in place.

Cheers,
        Oliver