Re: [HTCondor-users] scheduling behavior

On 5/2/2018 3:53 PM, Marcus Ebert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a condor 8.6 installation with about 4000 jobs slots. Most of
> these are on 8-core VMs. When there are free slots available, the
> scheduling of idle jobs to a specific machine seems somehow random.
> What we would like to have is that HTCondor fills up all slots on a
> machine before sending jobs to another (empty) machine.
>
> Is there any config option that would allow to change the scheduling
> behavior in that way (something like a node allocation policy in Maui)?

Hi Marcus,

Are you using static slots (the default) or partitionable slots on your pool?

If you are using static slots, the default configuration should already prefer filling up a machine before using another machine.

If you are using partitionable slots, and you are running HTCondor v8.6.x or later, I suggest you append the following into the condor_config[.local] on your central manager and then do a condor_reconfig:

    # If using partitionable slots, fill depth first.  See http://tinyurl.com/y75k3k7p
    NEGOTIATOR_DEPTH_FIRST = True

Hope the above helps,
Todd