Re: [HTCondor-users] check for cpu instruction?

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 4:30 PM, Michael Pelletier
<Michael.V.Pelletier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As for auto-detecting, I think the suggestion that I received a couple of weeks ago on automatically looking up user e-mail addresses and adding them to the submit could potentially work for you. In the configuration of HTCondor on the submit host, I added:
>
> IsSubmit = False
> SUBMIT.IsSubmit = True
> if $(IsSubmit)
>     include command : $(SITE_LIBEXEC)/username_email -submit $ENV(LOGNAME) 2>/dev/null
>     if defined Notify_User
>         SUBMIT_ATTRS = $(SUBMIT_ATTRS) NotifyUser JobNotification
>         NotifyUser = "$(Notify_User)"
>         JobNotification = ifThenElse( (isUndefined(InteractiveJob) || InteractiveJob =!= True) && ProcID + 1 == TotalSubmitProcs, 1, 0)
>     endif
> endif
>
> The above will run the "username_email" script with the $LOGNAME environment variable as the argument, which produces the following submit description line:
>
> Determining whether a given binary needs specific instruction sets is rather tricky business, apparently. There's a good stab at it here using objdump:
> https://superuser.com/questions/726395/how-to-check-if-a-binary-requires-sse4-or-avx-on-linux

this is an interesting trick, i might try my hand at coupling the two
together and see if i can kick things hard enough to work.

i did spend a few hours researching the opcode issue you referenced,
it does look like a challenging problem.  but only from the standpoint
in that the opcodes aren't terribly well documented or kept up to date

wikipedia seems to have a fairly comprehensive list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_instruction_listings