[HTCondor-users] HTCondor v8.8.1 not detecting Owner State?

Hi,

a few weeks ago I've upgraded HTCondor to v8.8.1 on all machines in our pool (mainly consisting of regular users' Linux desktops).

Surprisingly, after the upgrade all machines appeared with State either Claimed or Unclaimed, none with Owner. After reverting back to the previous installed version (8.6.12), and investigating the problem, it seems to me that the new HTCondor version is not returning the correct value of LoadAv (indeed it is always 0.0 except for Claimed machines).

In the example below, "rusia" is a Fedora 26 machine, with HTCondor v8.8.1 (installed from the tarballs). It is currently running several programs which keep the overall CPU usage above 60% or so. This is how its status appears from another Linux box, using v8.16.12 and v8.8.1.

ncaon@venezia> /usr/pkg/condor/condor-8.6.12-x86_64_RedHat7-stripped/bin/condor_status rusia
NameÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ OpSysÂÂÂÂÂ ArchÂÂ StateÂÂÂÂ Activity LoadAv MemÂÂ ActvtyTime

slot1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx LINUXÂÂÂÂÂ X86_64 Unclaimed IdleÂÂÂÂÂ 1.000 1961Â 0+02:29:30
slot2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx LINUXÂÂÂÂÂ X86_64 Unclaimed IdleÂÂÂÂÂ 1.000 1961Â 0+02:30:03
slot3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx LINUXÂÂÂÂÂ X86_64 Unclaimed IdleÂÂÂÂÂ 1.000 1961Â 0+02:30:03
slot4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx LINUXÂÂÂÂÂ X86_64 Unclaimed IdleÂÂÂÂÂ 7.820 1961Â 0+02:30:03

ncaon@venezia> /usr/pkg/condor/condor-8.8.1-x86_64_RedHat7-stripped/bin/condor_status rusia
NameÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ OpSysÂÂÂÂÂ ArchÂÂ StateÂÂÂÂ Activity LoadAv MemÂÂ ActvtyTime

slot1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx LINUXÂÂÂÂÂ X86_64 Unclaimed IdleÂÂÂÂÂ 0.000 1961Â 0+02:34:30
slot2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx LINUXÂÂÂÂÂ X86_64 Unclaimed IdleÂÂÂÂÂ 0.000 1961Â 0+02:35:03
slot3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx LINUXÂÂÂÂÂ X86_64 Unclaimed IdleÂÂÂÂÂ 0.000 1961Â 0+02:35:03
slot4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx LINUXÂÂÂÂÂ X86_64 Unclaimed IdleÂÂÂÂÂ 0.000 1961Â 0+02:35:03

The LoadAv from v8.6.12 is indeed consistent with the value printed by the uptime command. Has anything changed in the latest (stable) releases with respect to how the LoadAv values are obtained and how the State of the machine is determined? (Version 8.8.2 shows the same behavior as v8.8.1)

Thanks!

Nicola