Re: [HTCondor-users] 8.2.8 -> 8.8.x Upgrade Path?

That’s a big jump,  the main thing you are going to want to do is to cleanup your configuration files.  A lot of things that used to be explicit in the configurations files are now defaults, and many of those defaults have since changed, so you will want to re-evaluate anything in your configuration that differs from the 8.8.x default values, since most of those will just be old defaults that you didn’t choose explicitly but are now carrying forward.

To do this, you can use a 8.8 condor_config_val to see a digested version of your configuration.

On a machine that you have upgraded from 8.2.8 to 8.8.x, run this command

condor_config_val -write:upgrade -

This will show you what your effective configuration, it will not show any configuration value that is in your config files but the same as the built-in HTCondor default value.   You should use this as a guide as to what to delete from your configuration files (hint: it’s almost everything)

For instance, this is what I get when I run the command on my desktop.

#

# from c:\condor\condor_config

#

RELEASE_DIR = C:\condor

LOCAL_CONFIG_FILE = $(LOCAL_DIR)\condor_config.local

LOCAL_CONFIG_DIR = $(LOCAL_DIR)\config

ALLOW_NEGOTIATOR = $(CONDOR_HOST)

ALLOW_NEGOTIATOR_SCHEDD = $(ALLOW_NEGOTIATOR) $(FLOCK_NEGOTIATOR_HOSTS)

ALLOW_OWNER = $(FULL_HOSTNAME) $(IPV4_ADDRESS) $(IPV6_ADDRESS)

ALLOW_READ_COLLECTOR = $(ALLOW_READ) $(FLOCK_FROM)

ALLOW_READ_STARTD = $(ALLOW_READ) $(FLOCK_FROM)

ALLOW_WRITE_COLLECTOR = $(ALLOW_WRITE) $(FLOCK_FROM)

ALLOW_WRITE_STARTD = $(ALLOW_WRITE) $(FLOCK_FROM)

UID_DOMAIN = cs.wisc.edu

CONDOR_ADMIN =

ALLOW_READ = *

ALLOW_WRITE = $(IP_ADDRESS), *.cs.wisc.edu

ALLOW_ADMINISTRATOR = $(IP_ADDRESS)

CONDOR_HOST = crane.cs.wisc.edu

DAEMON_LIST = MASTER SCHEDD STARTD

#

# from C:\condor\condor_config.local

#

ALL_DEBUG = D_SUB_SECOND D_CAT

NUM_SLOTS = 1

NUM_SLOTS_TYPE_1 = 1

SLOT_TYPE_1 = cpus=75%, memory=50%

SLOT_TYPE_1_PARTITIONABLE = true

The HTCondor manual has a section giving upgrade advice each for major stable release. in your case  8.4, 8.6 and 8.8.  You should read these sections.  Off the top of my head, the major things to be concerned with are

  USE_SHARED_PORT is now true by default – so you no longer want to assign ports explicitly to any daemon.    any configuration variable

whose name ends with _PORT should be reviewed.

  the HOSTALLOW_* configuration variables for security are now just called ALLOW_*

And, of course, there are a *lot* of new features and improvements that you begin using once you upgrade.

-tj