Re: [HTCondor-users] deb packages for HTCondor Python API

On Fri, 2019-05-10 at 13:21:49 +0000, Todd Tannenbaum wrote:

> On May 10, 2019, at 4:23 AM, Peter Wienemann <wienemann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:wienemann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I am looking for the deb equivalent of the RPM package "condor-python".
> Can someone point me to the corresponding package for Ubuntu Bionic?
>
> Thanks, Peter
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> If you install the HTCondor DEB package, you should get the python bindings included for whatever is the system default python version (probably python 2 in Bionic?). See
>   https://research.cs.wisc.edu/htcondor/instructions/ubuntu/18/stable/
>
> I donât think the DEB packages are broken down into smaller components like the RPM packages.
>
> If you want just the Python bindings alone, or you want them for a different Python version, you can use pip (Pythonâs package manager), ie
>
>    pip install htcondor
>
> Or perhaps
>
>    pip3 install htcondor
>
> Hope the above helps. At some point soonish it is planned for both RPM and DEB packages to include both python 2 and python 3 bindings, but not until then pip is your friend.

Hi Todd,

I just found that:

- condor_8.8.2-465890-deb8_amd64.deb contains two .so files in below /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
- the src package (8.8.2-1, in 8.8/stretch) doesn't list those (htcondor.install doesn't mention
  usr/lib/python*)

When building the src package, the bindings get built but not installed.
What am I missing here?

Thanks,
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald, Cluster Administrator
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute)