From: HTCondor-users <htcondor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Christopher Weaver
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 12:40 PM
To: htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [HTCondor-users] Problems using SHARED_PORT_PORT

Hi,

I am trying to configure a submit host for which the typical port 9618 cannot be opened, but as I understand from examining the logs on my central manager, I need to have a port open to allow the negotiator on the central manager to contact the schedd on the submit host. It seemed that setting SHARED_PORT_PORT to a port which I can open would solve this. However, I am having difficulty getting the shared port daemon to respect this setting. The hopefully relevant subset of my configuration is:

	$ condor_config_val -dump | grep PORT
	AUTO_INCLUDE_SHARED_PORT_IN_DAEMON_LIST = true
	COLLECTOR_PORT =
	COLLECTOR_USES_SHARED_PORT = false
	CONDOR_SUPPORT_EMAIL =
	CREDD_ARGS = -p $(CREDD_PORT) -f
	CREDD_PORT = 9620
	DAGMAN_USE_SHARED_PORT = false
	HAD_USE_SHARED_PORT = false
	IN_HIGHPORT =
	IN_LOWPORT =
	LOWPORT =
	MAX_SHARED_PORT_LOG = $(MAX_DEFAULT_LOG)
	OUT_HIGHPORT =
	OUT_LOWPORT =
	REPLICATION_USE_SHARED_PORT = $(HAD_USE_SHARED_PORT)
	SCHEDD.USE_SHARED_PORT = true
	SHARED_PORT = $(LIBEXEC)/condor_shared_port
	SHARED_PORT_DAEMON_AD_FILE = $(LOCK)/shared_port_ad
	SHARED_PORT_DEBUG = D_FULLDEBUG
	SHARED_PORT_DEFAULT_ID =
	SHARED_PORT_LOG = $(LOG)/SharedPortLog
	SHARED_PORT_MAX_FILE_DESCRIPTORS = 1024
	SHARED_PORT_PORT = 31862
	USE_SHARED_PORT = true

SHARED_PORT_PORT has the value I expect (which I chose), yet it is not being used:

	$ grep 'Listening' /var/log/condor/SharedPortLog
	06/18/20 16:10:34 Daemoncore: Listening at <0.0.0.0:37338> on TCP (ReliSock).

Running `ss -tunlp` on the host also shows that port 37338 is being listened on, and 31862 is not. This is with condor 8.9.5:

	$ condor_config_val -version
	$CondorVersion: 8.9.5 Jan 06 2020 PackageID: 8.9.5-1 $
	$CondorPlatform: X86_64-CentOS_7.7 $

Further experimentation shows that I can force port my chosen port to be used by setting IN_LOWPORT and IN_HIGHPORT to a range containing only my preferred port. This is not viable, however, as apparently more than one port is needed overall, and so making this range contain only one port causes condor to fail. Expanding the range to include more than one port leads to random allocation from within that range, as the documentation for *LOWPORT and *HIGHPORT describes, but not as expected when SHARED_PORT_PORT is set to a non-zero value.

Any suggestions concerning what I am missing or misunderstanding would be greatly appreciated.

	Chris Weaver