Re: [HTCondor-users] could not make temporary directory: `/var/lib/condor/execute/dir_ Re: Fw: Xvfb | Docker Universe | Can't open display | (but works with docker run)

Thank you very much Dima,

I was able to determine that singularity is installed with
condor_status -l | grep -i singularity

I was able to run the example shown in the singularity-support.html page, even also if replacing the "sleep" executable to /bin/pwd.

The manual html page is not very clear nor targetted for end-users. It seems that there are very specific steps for the job to run inside a container. Apparently when I ran my larger Xmgrace I can surmise that it is not run within the container based on the error:

$ cat err_singu.0
/etc/profile.d/dymotd.sh: line 44: ip: command not found
Can't locate Chart/Graph.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib64/perl5 [truncated]

At the same time /etc/profile.d/dymotd.sh
 does not exist on the actual machine..
But since it cannot locate the Graph.pm perl module (which was found under the Docker Universe) I suppose that, as they say at the top of the singularity-support.html page: "...a job can opt into running inside a container"
But that requires that the option is available...

At this point I cannot know for sure if the job was in a container or not.
Since it cannot find the programs that are built in the image, I suppose it ran out of the container.

Thanks for the suggestion... Perhaps someone from Madison will be able to clarify what happens...

JYS