Re: [HTCondor-users] Question about authentication when using remote schedd

Hi Zhangqier,

I've discussed with a few other developers about the best way to do this.

The best solution we all agree on is just to upgrade to the HTCondor
v9.0 series. That will allow you to use our new IDTOKENS method for
pool authentication, which is the modern and better-supported (and
prescribed) approach. There's some information about how to upgrade in
the manual: https://htcondor.readthedocs.io/en/latest/version-history/upgrading-from-88-to-90-series.html

Sticking to the v8.8 series is not recommended for a few reasons.
First off, we don't support v8.8 anymore (except for security
releases, and those only for another few weeks). We used to rely
heavily on GSI, but that's also being discontinued later this year.

If you have access to a shared file system, you could try putting your
shared pool password in there. Another option is to drop the PASSWORD
authentication entirely and instead use SSL, as described here:
https://htcondor.readthedocs.io/en/latest/admin-manual/security.html#ssl-authentication

But really, if you're able to upgrade to v9.0 and use IDTOKENS for
authentication that's the best way. You'll get ongoing support and
better functionality that way.

Mark