Re: [HTCondor-users] pid_max on Linux

On 4/22/22 10:56, Marco van Zwetselaar wrote:
Hi Gerard,

On 22/04/2022 18:39, Weatherby,Gerard wrote:
Is it possible to persuade the condor daemon not to reset kernel.pid_max when it restarts? We have a legacy application that does not like high pid numbers.

I suppose you could do this by either changing GLOBAL_MAX_PROCESSES in /usr/lib/condor/libexec/linux_kernel_tuning, or turning off "kernel tuning" altogether in /etc/condor/condor_config: ENABLE_KERNEL_TUNING = false. I prefer the latter, and set the required sysctl values in /etc/sysctl.d/ (as they are system-wide and shouldn't be trigged by the startup of any specific service).

Either of these methods works. Note that condor only increases the maximum number of processes on schedd machines, so that it can run with a huge number of shadows (usually one shadow per running job), and thus a large number of jobs. So, if you set

ENABLE_KERNEL_TUNING = false

I would only do that on the schedd machines, so that you get the collected wisdom of this script on the other machines in your pool.

-greg