[HTCondor-users] HTCondor: Increase requested RAM memory if a job is retried

Dear all,

I have jobs that I set to be retried automatically by condor in case of failure.
I was wondering if there is a way for condor to automatically increase the requested RAM for a job in case it failed and it is retried.

I was looking at the NumJobStarts which counts the number of times a job is startedÂ
https://htcondor.readthedocs.io/en/latest/classad-attributes/job-classad-attributes.html

And I was trying to add something as below in the submit file (but it does not work):
(based on https://htcondor.readthedocs.io/en/latest/users-manual/submitting-a-job.html#using-conditionals-in-the-submit-description-file)

if NumJobStarts == 0
ÂÂ request_memory = 2GB
else
 request_memory = 8GB
endif

I could use requirement with a syntax likeÂ
requirement = (NumJobStarts == 0 &&ÂTARGET.Memory >= 2GB) || (NumJobStarts >= 1 &&ÂTARGET.Memory >= 8GB)
But apparently it is not recommended to request memory that way

Would anyone have a better solution?

Many thanks in advance
Best,
Romain Bouquet