Re: [condor-users] Fwd: [Medusa-users] ulimit -a

On Monday 29 September 2003 1:20 pm, Scott Koranda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > On Monday 29 September 2003 12:10 pm, Alexander Klyubin wrote:
> > > Actually, looking at the log entries in StarterLog I start to suspect
> > > that Condor indeed sets resource limits for job processes.
> > > For example, Windows machine's StarterLog:
> > >    9/29 15:08:57 Setting resource limits not implemented!
> > > Linux machine's StarterLog:
> > >    9/8 20:07:52 Done setting resource limits
> > >
> > > I wonder what limits it tries to set and where the settings governing
> > > this process are located.
> >
> > Scott & everybody else:
> >
> > Yeah.  After thinking about this some more, I know what the problem is.
> > Condor, and processes started by Condor will completely ignore
> > limits.conf. Completely.
> >
> > The only solution that I can think of is to start the condor master
> > (which you're running as root, I gather), from a script which looks
> > something like:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > ulimit -n 4096
> > /path/to/condor/bin/condor_master
> >
> > Does this work?
>
> I will try this later by just editing /etc/init.d/condor. Right now
> there are a bunch of jobs running so I have to wait until later. I
> will let you know.
>
> > Now, another option that could work would be to replace your startd with
> > a script.
> >
> > Why does this work?  Because the master and the startd are both run as
> > root that can crank up their limits.
> >
> > Problems:  *Any* process startd by Condor will have these bigger limits.
>
> This is fine for us. We have edited limits.conf for all users anyway.

No no no.  *All* jobs started by Condor, for *any* user, will have the limits
set by the your condor startup script, and will ignore the settings in
limits.conf.  I haven't confirmed this with testing, but I'm quite sure of it
nonetheless.

> > Perhaps we should make Condor use PAM, but it currently doesn't.
>
> I personally don't think this is a high priority. In fact I wish our
> user would find another way to write his code. He shouldn't need to
> open 2048 files all at once...

Yeah, we were sort of wonderring what your job could be doing that's using so
many fds.

-Nick

Condor Support Information: