[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [condor-users] Need help finding a good "sample problem"
- Date: 18 Oct 2003 19:40:31 +0200
- From: Mark Silberstein <marks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [condor-users] Need help finding a good "sample problem"
I had the same problem. My way of demonstrating Condor capabilities was
based on the answer to the question of "what important features of
Condor make it useful"
So, to my opinion, this set of features includes:
1. Matchmaking - choosing platform among others - here there are many
possible examples, especially the fact that you can add you own values
to the resource classad.
2. Automation of submission of multiple jobs, namely, Queue 1000 . with
$(Process) iterative variable for input files and InitDir
3. Automatic file transfer ( This was major advantage of Condor for
people who used PBS before )
5. If you demonstrate Condor for those who would lend their PC as a
resource, it is important to demonstrate that Condor frees the resource
once somebody touches the keyboard, or runs CPU-intensive job locally.
6. Running parallel jobs - Simple MPI job would be VERY impressive.
7. To show scalability - try running many small jobs ~1 minute. The
numbers and graphs will be nice
8. You may show running Matlab/Octave job of matrix multiplication of
VERY large matrix on 10 computers. This is a nice example of using
Condor to parallelize serial jobs, and to gain performance.
In any case, it very much depends on the people you will do the demo
On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 14:50, Heinz, Michael William wrote:
> I've been asked to develop a demo showcasing what condor can do - but
> without spending any money.
> I'm having fun, but I have a basic issue: I don't have a good demo problem.
> I have a good idea of what the *real* problem is I should be tackling, but
> that's a multi-month multi-department effort that I can only begin *after* I
> shown people what Condor can do.
> Can anyone suggest a source for sample Condor applications that I could
> adapt to this effort?
> Condor Support Information:
> To Unsubscribe, send mail to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx with
> unsubscribe condor-users <your_email_address>
Condor Support Information:
To Unsubscribe, send mail to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx with
unsubscribe condor-users <your_email_address>