Re: [condor-users] controlling number of jobs running at once

Here are two simple suggestions.

You could submit 540 at once, but change the configuration file "maximum
number of jobs to spawn shadows for" line to:

MAX_JOBS_RUNNING = 10

Then your schedd would only run 10 jobs at a time, even with 540 jobs in
the queue. But, it would affect all users.

Alternatively, but requiring some pre-submission admin work:
condor dagman can do this sequential submission for you.
You'ld have to create 540 submit files, one for each run, then specify
them in your condor_dag submit file and have something like:

Parent a b c d e f g h i j Child k l m n o p q r s t u v.
Parent w x y z aa bb cc dd ee ff gg hh ii jj Child kk ll mm nn oo ...
and so on until you have specified 54x 10 Parent/Child job steps.

This way, the next ten jobs would only be submitted to the schedd when
the previous ten have finished.
Also, you could use dagman's pre/post script feature to automate file
admin you want to do between each ten jobs.

Creating and editing the submit files should not take long- I presume
all these jobs are similar.

BTW:
how any Mb's data is transfered/what's the job length/which
universe/what's your network bandwidth?

Paul Wilson,
UCL Condor Pool. (900 Win2k nodes)