Re: [condor-users] ERROR "set_user_priv() failed!" at line 352 in file ..\src\condor_c++_util\uids.C

On 02 Jan 2004 09:39:29 -0600  Geoff Lovett wrote:

> Hello all, I found this error in the StartLog on both windows 2000
> server and windows xp professional execute boxes.  Any ideas what this
> is about?  It causes condor_startd.exe to abnormally end.  I am
> currently running a large number of the same job, and several executed
> on the affected machines before this error occured.  The condor version
> on all machines is 6.6.0.

the main windows developer on the team and myself looked into this
problem in depth yesterday.  it appears to be a bug in our windows
port.  the gory details aren't all that interesting.  basically,
whenever a job exits, the condor_startd tries to clean-up any
processes that might be left on the system associated with that job.
the way we do this on windows means requires the condor_startd to
temporarily run as the user that the job ran as.  in some cases, this
fails, and you get the error you see above.

the good news is that it won't be hard to fix.  therefore, this
problem should go away in 6.6.1.  the other good news is that the
problem only shows up on windows, so it doesn't effect unix condor
users.  yet more good news is that 6.6.1 will probably be coming out
in a week or two, since there are a few other small issues that have
come up in the 6.6.0 release that have already been fixed.  plus,
6.6.1 will provide full support (including checkpointing) on red hat
8.0.  the bad news is that there's no real work-around you can use for
this problem until then.

our apologies,

-derek (condor team)

Condor Support Information: