Re: [condor-users] New user questions about condor_submit

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 12:15:54PM -0500, Brian Baer wrote:

> 1)  We often make a number of runs of the same program with the only
> difference being a different random number seed.  If we were running
> the program from the command line the syntax would be:
>
>    primitive -s $seed
>
> inside of our condor command file we could do something like:
>
>    executable = ./primitive
>    arguments = -s $(Process)
>    queue 10
>
> However sometimes we don't want to start the sequence from 0.  Is
> there someway to change the starting value of the Process variable?
> Or is there someway to do some basic math inside the command file
> like:
>
>    arguments = -s $(Process)+$(Some_Offset)
>
> or
>
>    arguments = -s `echo "$(Process)+$(Some_Offset)" | bc`

Not using condor_submit. We've thought about it in the past, and the current
thinking in Perl/Python/tcsh are better scripting languages than we can
come up with, so we think people are better off writing Perl scripts that
write out submit files.

> 2) Our program outputs a number (100's or 1000's) of small files that
> are saved to subdirectory.  In addition the program creates half a
> dozen larger files in the main directory.  When I've run the program
> under Condor the files from the main directory are brought back to
> the submit machine but the subdirectory and the small files that are
> in that directory do not not get returned to the submit computer.  Is
> there a flag to tell condor_submit that I want to bring back
> subdirectories as well as individual files?

No, but that's something we do plan on eventually supporting. For now, the
recommended work-around is to use tar.

> 3) The output files for each run have the same names.  Therefore we
> need to have different directories for each run.  I've used the
> statement :
>
>    initialdir = testout.$(Process)
>
> However I've had to create each of these directories by hand.  Is
> there any way to have Condor create these files automatically?

No.

Sorry for all of the disappointing answers,

-Erik
Condor Support Information: