From: owner-condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Miskell, Craig
Sent: 19 April 2004 01:25
To: condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [condor-users] Condor, compared to Sun Grid Engine

Hi,
	I'm evaluating software to use to control our compute farm, and
I'm currently tossing up between Sun Grid Engine, and Condor.  My gut
instinct is to like Condor more, probably due to it's roots - academic
rather than commercial, and it just "feels" right.  Plus, among other
things, SGE requires users have an account on each machine that they
want to execute a job on, whereas condor will use 'nobody' if required -
I much prefer condor's method as end users should never be able to even
theoretically login to our compute farm nodes.

But, SGE can do one particular thing that I'm not sure Condor can, and
this is a relatively important requirement for what we want to do with
our farm.  So, I thought I'd ask the list and see if there's some way I
can poke Condor into doing it too:

One of the tasks we will be using the compute farm for is Blast runs (a
bioinformatics thing).  We have some nice dual-proc Xeons with
hyperthreading which condor rightly interprets as 4 virtual
machines/node.  Empirical testing has shown that our blast runs go best
when a single job is told it can use 4 threads, which fully utilises the
node.  However, convincing condor to support this is non-obvious (to
me).  If I kick off 4 blast jobs, what I want to happen is condor to use
4 separate nodes.  Out of the box, what it'll do is use 4 vms on a
single node, which will slow blast down to a crawl.  I *could* space out
the starting of the runs so that the load average is up to 4 on each
node before I kick off another job, but that will introduce quite some
delay, and is a little bit crude for my liking.  SGE allows for
consumable resources, so I could setup a virtual "Blast" resource with a
count of 1 on each node, and then each blast job would "consume" that
blast resource (a "licence", if you will).  Is there anyway to do the
equivalent with Condor?  Perhaps advertise BLAST=1 for completely empty
nodes and the blast job sets off a script which changes the
advertisement for the node to BLAST=0, and require blast=1 for a blast
job to start?  Would the change in advert get back to the master before
the next job is dispatched to the same node?

Am I even looking at this the right way, or do I need to shift my view
completely?

I appreciate any help you can provide,

Thanks,

Craig Miskell,
Technical Support,
AgResearch Invermay
03 489-9279
I stopped and considered for a moment whether such a person
would behave any differently  with his head cut right off, but
then realized it would make a difference: it would allow  him to
stand upright again.  	-- Anthony de Boer
sender immediately.

Gloucester Research Limited believes the information
provided herein is reliable. While every care has been
taken to ensure accuracy, the information is furnished
to the recipients with no warranty as to the completeness
and accuracy of its contents and on condition that any
errors or omissions shall not be made the basis for any
claim, demand or cause for action.