Re: [condor-users] Stopping Preemption

Cliff Padgett wrote:

Hi,
I’m trying to disable preemption, the condor manual says I need to add the following lines:
PREEMET = FALSE
START = $(START) && (State == “Unclaimed”)
Upon doing this no new runs start because the state always equals “Owner”. I’ve also tried setting state == “Unclaimed”, this did allow my dedicated scheduler to claim the processor but alias the job never starts (probably because state != “unclaimed” anymore).

I apologize for this, because this is my mistake in the manual. You may add a test for State == "Owner", but I had not tested this scheme with the dedicated scheduler, and it sounds like you have found a snag. I will have to test that and get back to you.

Does anyone know a way around this, can I just set PREEMPTION_REQUIREMENTS = False, and fix the problem without using modify the start command?

Yes, you can set PREEMPTION_REQUIREMENTS to False, but be aware that the startd RANK expression overrides this. In other words, if the machine prefers a different user/job, preemption will happen, even if PREEMPTION_REQUIREMENTS is false.

Dan Bradley