Re: [condor-users] RE: clarification required please

>From the short investigation I did the following looks true:
I invoked:
>condor_status -constraint 'CurrentRank!=0' -l
Rank = (IsMyBelovedJob =?= TRUE)
CurrentRank = 1.000000
Activity="Busy"
JobID="1.0"
ClientMachine="mymachine"

>condor_q -name mymachine -l 1.0
IsMyBelovedJob=TRUE
Rank=MIPS

It follows that Rank is indeed the expression specified in the Machine's
config file as Rank for startd. CurrentRank shows the evaluation of
that  Rank expression in the context of Job's classad.

> B) Preemption
> from the supplied config file
>
> ##  The negotiator will not preempt a job running on a given machine
> ##  unless the PREEMPTION_REQUIREMENTS expression evaluates to true
> ##  and the owner of the idle job has a better priority than the owner
> ##  of the running job.  This expression defaults to true.
> UWCS_PREEMPTION_REQUIREMENTS = $(StateTimer) > (1 * $(HOUR)) && RemoteUserPrio > SubmittorPrio * 1.2
>
> does this means that, in addition to this PREEMPTION_REQUIREMENTS evaluating to true the user prio must be better or that this particular expression causes this.
This expression is evaluated by the Negotiator, to decide whether to
preempt your job or not. So the documentation is misleading, i.e. this
expression defines the overall behavior. Thus, if you remove
(RemoteUserPrio>SubmittorPrio*1.2), then there will be no user priority
consideration for preemption at all.

> C) Vacation
> Also I believe there is a bug on the windows port:
>
> we have
>
> want_vacate = False
>
> there is no definition for want_vacate_vanilla (condor_config_val confirms this)
>
> vanilla jobs do not immediately go to the killing state they remain in the preempting state till the timeout expires (we were using the default UWCS value for KILL as I thought it would not matter)
I guess you should put WANT_SUSPEND=FALSE. It might be the case that you
actually don't see the real state of the job.
Then your  WANT_VACATE=FALSE is in place, and it goes directly to KILL.

> I have therefore modified KILL to be true, thus mitigating the problem but It makes me wonder whether other bugs such as this exist?
>
> Thanks for any informaion that can be supplied
Let us know about your results
Mark
> Matt

> Gloucester Research Limited believes the information
> provided herein is reliable. While every care has been
> taken to ensure accuracy, the information is furnished
> to the recipients with no warranty as to the completeness
> and accuracy of its contents and on condition that any
> errors or omissions shall not be made the basis for any
> claim, demand or cause for action.

Condor Support Information: