From: Petr Vokac <Petr.Vokac@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 6, 2023 11:35 AM
To: HTCondor-Users Mail List <htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Maarten Litmaath <Maarten.Litmaath@xxxxxxx>; James Frey <jfrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Steven Timm <timm@xxxxxxxx>; condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx <condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [HTCondor-users] Missing `x509UserProxyVOName` ClassAd in Condor 10.0.3

Everybody should be already aware that HTCondor is very progressive piece of software that tries to move us in future. One should be careful with upgrades / definitely read release notes (not just for LTS but also previous feature releases), because HTCondor is changing default configuration values:

Version 9.10.0

  • The default value of configuration parameter USE_VOMS_ATTRIBUTES has been changed to False. (HTCONDOR-1161)

When it comes to the jobs with delegated X.509 proxy it is also necessary to add in HTCondor-CE 6 configuration "USE_VOMS_ATTRIBUTES = True".

OSG HTCondor-CE release depends on voms-clients-cpp, but non-OSG release comes with java dependency, because according SPEC file
* Wed Jul 15 2020 Mátyás Selmeci <matyas@xxxxxxxxxxx> - 4.4.1-2
- Change voms-clients-cpp requirement to voms-clients for non-OSG builds,
  because voms-clients-java works equally well
To be honest this statement is not true anymore, because HTCondor-CE compiled without GSI can't really dlopen JAVA VOMS library. So in my view dependencies of non-OSG HTCondor-CE packages are broken and needs to be fixed by HTCondor-CE package maintainers.

Because LHC experiments are not as progressive as HTCondor developers I'm personally not very concerned about accounting which rely on x509UserProxyVOName, because only negligible fraction of short test jobs are submitted without delegated proxy and we don't plan to change that in a near future. Unfortunately we have to ask all sites to configure HTCondor-CE 6 with non-default USE_VOMS_ATTRIBUTES.

Fermilab is in different position, because they are pushing tokens hard, but their gracc accounting doesn't as far as I know rely on site configuration and they should be fine even without USE_VOMS_ATTRIBUTES. Still job routing will be affected if sites don't update configuration to rely on AuthTokenIssuer classAds instead of x509* ... actually can somebody from FNAL explain me how to route NOvA jobs submitted with tokens, because from token classAds I can't really determine individual experiments aggregated in Fermilab VO
AuthTokenGroups = "/fermilab,/fermilab/pilot"
AuthTokenId = "https://cilogon.org/oauth2/4b43d9cf935ca4f531a4c41cfb326ee1?type=accessToken&ts=1683307232137&version=v2.0&lifetime=10800000"
AuthTokenIssuer = "https://cilogon.org/fermilab"
AuthTokenScopes = "compute.create,compute.read,compute.cancel,compute.modify"
AuthTokenSubject = "fermilabpilot@xxxxxxxx"
It is a bit unfortunate that AuthTokenGroups use just "/fermilab" while in case of x509UserProxyFirstFQAN jobs are submitted with "/fermilab/nova", it is not clear to me why Fermilab decided to use such inconsistent group configuration for tokens vs. x509.

Petr