Re: [HTCondor-users] Need for COLLECTOR.ALLOW_ADVERTISE_STARTD in HTCondor-CE?

On 11/20/2023 4:08 AM, Fischer, Max (SCC) wrote:
As far as I understand it, the CE Collector should only ever know about CE Schedds. All the StartDs would report to the LRMS Collector.
What is the point of allowing every user to advertise StartDs?

Hi Max,

I have not investigated the specific permission settings you referenced, but a use case for configuring glidein startds to advertise to the CE Collector (in addition to the pool collector for the VO of course) is it would allow the owner of the CE (i.e. the site) to get a view into exactly what their grid resources are being used for.  For example, here in OSG, we have configured all our hosted CEs to receive startds ads from glideins in order to make a "CE Dashboard" enabling sites that contribute cycles to the OSG to have their own personal dashboard reporting how their contributed cycles are helping.  A random screenshot this morning from a prototype of this dashboard appears below.  By having dashboard data coming from the startds -vs- the job history ads, CE admins can see also see what is currently happening -vs- only having visibility once a job completes (potentially many hours or days later).

regards,
Todd

--
Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx>  University of Wisconsin-Madison
Center for High Throughput Computing    Department of Computer Sciences