New submit servers, short outage Tuesday, March 12

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 15:00:00 +0000
From: chtc-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: New submit servers, short outage Tuesday, March 12

Dear CHTC users,

This message is only for users who log in to submit1.chtc.wisc.edu or submit2.chtc.wisc.edu to use our high-throughput computing (HTC) system.

We are replacing submit1 and submit2 with new servers – ap2001.chtc.wisc.edu and ap2002.chtc.wisc.edu, respectively. The transition is planned for Tuesday, March 12.

Here is the transition timeline:

  • Monday night (Mar. 11) – Job submission on submit1 and submit2 will be disabled.
  • Tuesday morning (Mar. 12) –
    • The old servers submit1.chtc.wisc.edu and submit2.chtc.wisc.edu will be taken offline. You will not be able to log in.
    • Files (in /home) will be copied from the old servers to the new servers.
    • Jobs submitted from these servers that do not finish before this time will need to be resubmitted on the new servers.
  • Tuesday afternoon (Mar. 12) – The new servers ap2001.chtc.wisc.edu and ap2002.chtc.wisc.edu will be brought online. You will be able to log in, access your files, and submit jobs.

Login details will change as follows:

  • If you normally log into submit1.chtc.wisc.edu, you will now log into ap2001.chtc.wisc.edu
  • If you normally log into submit2.chtc.wisc.edu, you will now log into ap2002.chtc.wisc.edu

This information will also be available on the CHTC website after the transition.

After the transition, users will no longer be able to log in to submit1 or submit2. Besides the change in login address and the transition outage, we anticipate very little change to users’ day-to-day interactions with the login servers.

No other login servers will be affected by this transition.

Let us know if you have any questions or specific needs by contacting chtc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Best,

CHTC Facilitation Team