Re: [classad-users] c++ & java inconsistency

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 07:26:49 -0500 (CDT)
From: Alain Roy <roy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [classad-users] c++ & java inconsistency
As you can see the use of parentesys is different, I don't know wheter it
has been fixed in the latest java release but if not, can you please check it?

BTW, which should be the right representation ? (I guess it's the second
one but... never know..)

Both are correct representations--what problem does it cause you that they
are different?

Java decides where the parentheses should go, regardless of what the user
does. C++ preserves the parentheses as the users puts them in. Both of
these have advantages and disadvantages, but it's not clearly correct or
incorrect in either case.

We have talked about making the parentheses the same between Java and C++,
but we have not yet done so. I believe there are ways to adjust how Java
does parentheses, but I don't recall how.

So the real question is--how big of a problem is this for you? Does it
cause incorrect results in evaluation anywhere?

-alain