Re: [classad-users] c++ & java inconsistency

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 08:23:05 -0500 (CDT)
From: Alessandro Maraschini <alessandro.maraschini@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [classad-users] c++ & java inconsistency
Alain Roy wrote:

> >As you can see the use of parentesys is different, I don't know wheter it
> >has been fixed in the latest java release but if not, can you please check it?
> >
> >BTW, which should be the right representation ? (I guess it's the second
> >one but... never know..)
>
> Both are correct representations--what problem does it cause you that they
> are different?
>
> Java decides where the parentheses should go, regardless of what the user
> does. C++ preserves the parentheses as the users puts them in. Both of
> these have advantages and disadvantages, but it's not clearly correct or
> incorrect in either case.
>
> We have talked about making the parentheses the same between Java and C++,
> but we have not yet done so. I believe there are ways to adjust how Java
> does parentheses, but I don't recall how.
>
> So the real question is--how big of a problem is this for you? Does it
> cause incorrect results in evaluation anywhere?

Not that big problem, I just found it weird not to have the same behaviour.
Now I'm wondering wheter this difference could cause unpredictable error situation
while building pecuiliar classad, for instance while providing from a Java client
a classad string to a C++ Server (which is our specific situation)

Yet no problems have been found  so far... but If I find it out, I'll tell you.

;-)

cheers,

Alessandro

Condor Classads Info: