Re: [classad-users] How classads achieve schema independence

Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 11:03:21 -0600
From: Alain Roy <roy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [classad-users] How classads achieve schema independence

  I read that classads are schema independent in specifying entity attibutes.
  How does classads achieve that?

We don't have a way of specifying a schema, and no schema is checked when creating or changing a ClassAd. This doesn't prevent a higher-level of the software from using schemas though.

What is the (computaitonal or storage) cost incurred in achieving schema independence?

If I understand your question, it's a negative cost. There is no space dedicated to storing a schema, and no time dedicated to checking that attributes match a schemea.

ClassAds are not schema free because of computational or storage costs though: it's a design decision about we want to use ClassAds. For instance, in Condor users are free to arbitrarily extend Job and Machine ClassAds and use those extensions for matchmaking without consulting a central authority for permission to modify the schema.

-alain