RE: [Gems-users] Modify Cache Parameters to get rid of L2 cache

Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:07:39 -0500
From: "Mike Marty" <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Gems-users] Modify Cache Parameters to get rid of L2 cache
If you don't care about split I&D L1 caching, then just use
MOSI_SMP_bcast_1level which is a single cache per processor.

Otherwise use MOSI_SMP_bcast which manages an L1 I&D and L2 in the same
controller.  However I'm not sure how it will behave with the L2 cache set
as 0 and in fact we have an assertion, in ruby/RubyConfig.C, to enforce that
there is at least 1 set for L2 cache bank.  Would setting the cache size to
a single set be good enough?  If not, modify MOSI_SMP_bcast_1level-cache.sm
to have split L1 caches.  This should be pretty straightforward by comparing
the differences between MOSI_SMP_bcast-cache.sm and
MOSI_SMP_bcast_1level-cache.sm

Regarding setting different associativities for the L1 I&D caches, this
should be pretty straightforward.  You will need to modify the
MOSI_SMP_bcast-cache.sm file so that it uses a different parameter when
instantiating the 2 L1 cache memories (search for "CacheMemory").